Saturday, November 22, 2014

Thank you, tissue donor!

The day after my ACL surgery was a lost day. I was in and out of sleep, groggy, confused, in pain and afraid to move lest I hurt myself further. A row of drugs that would rival a shelf at CVS Pharmacy sat next to me with a time schedule that I was supposed to adhere to strictly. I was determined to stay on top of the pain.

During one of my awake moments that day, I reviewed the paperwork sent home with me.  That's when I spotted the information on the tissue graft. I had used a tendon from a deceased donor  to repair my ACL.  I now had the opportunity to thank the family of the deceased. It would not be direct contact. Rather, I would send a note to the tissue donation company and they would forward it to the family.

I suddenly realized I was given a gift out of someone else's misfortune. I plan on drafting that note in a few days when the fog of surgery has subsided.

No comments:

Post a Comment