Friday, April 3, 2015

UNFORGETTABLE? NOT!

Do you have a teacher that made a difference in your life?
I did. It was Mr. Johnson. We called him Senor Johnson because he was our high school Spanish teacher.  He somehow instilled a love of the language, so much so, that I majored in Spanish in college. I don't think he had a particularly creative way to remember when to use the conditional or subjunctive tenses, but I was hooked.
Rolling the r ? Yes! Learning masculine and feminine nouns? Absolutely! Conjugating verbs? Si se puede.  I'm sure you all remember -o,-as, -a, -amos, -an, right?
My Spanish degree eventually came in handy about 20 years into my all-over-the map career.  I was a Spanish teacher for 5th and 6th graders! I was going to WOW these kiddos! They would love Spanish as much as I did. I featured a song-of-the week where students got exposure to a wide variety of Latino artists from Richie Valens, Shakira, Selena and Pitbull. We had a trabalengua every week too where students learned tongue twisters in Spanish. I was crazy, I was fun, I was unforgettable! Or so I thought....
...until I met one of those 4th and 5th graders at the university where I work. I was going to give a presentation one night in a residence hall.  The girl who greeted me looked incredibly familiar and her name rang a bell, too.
"Jessica, do you remember me?" I asked after we shook hands.
"No, should I?"
"I was your Spanish teacher," I said.  "Are you taking Spanish here at the university?"
"French," she said.
So much for being unforgettable.
But, French? Ay caramba!

No comments:

Post a Comment